Monday, April 15, 2013

TF31003 error using Team Foundation Service + VS 2012

I have been a happy user of Team Foundation Service (aka TFS Azure) ever since it was released to general public. Today I ran into an issue that I could not get identified from within Visual Studio (running version 2012.1). I always got

TF31003: Either you have not entered the necessary credentials or your user account does not have permission to connect to the Team Foundation Server at https://***.visualstudio.com/. Ask your server administrator to add the appropriate permissions to your account

No login prompt was displayed at all.

TFS worked like a charm for me if I opened the browser portal, however. I could see all the projects etc. After a bit of searching around the internet it cleared to me: I had logged on earlier using a Microsoft account (Live id) that was not among the ids that have access to the service. Not sure how it really works, but it seemed to make a difference if I opened the browser with “run as admin”. I am also running Visual Studio with “run as admin”, so it sort of makes sense. Anyway, the problem was cleared by opening a “run as admin” browser, go to ***.visualstudio.com, let it tell me that I do not have access and then sign out the account.

And voila, after that Visual Studio asks me for login when I retry connect to team foundation server!

In some internet resources it says that it can be resolved by clearing all cookies, which probably also effectively forgets the auto-signin to TFS.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Aali, i dont have words to explain to see this solution work for me.. i have cleaned all cookies.. all tfs settings with numerous restarts.. and finally, eventually.. this has worked.. i dont even know how it took my personal hotmail id and didnt show me the login screen!!
    Thanks a lot!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great! Glad to be able to help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Same thing here: deleting cookies did not work, but running IE as an Administrator did the trick. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete